Action item: Read Peggy McIntosh's White Privilege: The Invisible Knapsack.
Where to read it: via this link
Time needed to read it: 15-20 minutes.
What It's About: Peggy McIntosh gives a personal account explaining how we are often blind in the ways we are privileged in comparison to others.
- Were any of the privileges listed surprising to you?
- How was privilege taught to you growing up?
- Which of the "daily effects of white privilege" stick out to you? Why?
- How can white people lessen the impact of our privilege?
- Does this essay make you feel encouraged or discouraged? Why?